Donors Choose

DonorsChoose.org - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

12 August 2008

Olympic Fever

Every 2 years I get the Olympic fever.... and this time, it's baaaad.

First, our own little hometown hero Peter Vanderkaay got bronze in the 200 free for swimming today!! It's so cool to see someone from Rochester and someone so down to earth winning medals in the Olympics. He has a few more events in the next week or so (1500 free and 4x200 relay I think...), so be sure to watch for him and cheer him on!

I have a small beef with NBC though.... I know that Michael Phelps is pulling in the biggest ratings in Olympics history since 1976, but COME ON, give some other people some sort of spotlight too. It's amazing how much attention Phelps brings to the sport, but still. I got a little mad yesterday when Peter was in first going into tonights race, but it was still all about Phelps. They said maybe one word about Peter. Obviously, Michael Phelps wasn't going 100% and was conserving energy for his gold medal swim tonight, but they still should have given kudos where they were deserved. END RANT.

Second of all, I'm watching the men's gymnastics team competition and just falling in love with the USA mens team as they capture the bronze medal. I don't know why, but they're all just so cute! And trying so hard and get so excited because they're putting out amazing routines. I love it when people are passionate about sports like that... gives me the warm fuzzies for sure.

Can't wait to see what else the USA will do in these games... regardless of politics or who we mistakenly chose as our President, we should ALL be proud to be an American and admire those athletes for their amazing sportsmanship and dedication. Basically, if you can't tell, I'm in love. With the Olympics.

No comments: