Donors Choose

DonorsChoose.org - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

05 September 2008

Donors Choose!

Donors Choose is an amazing website for educators that lets them post proposals that need funding and allows people to donate to that project.  You can donate any amount, and the money goes straight to Donors Choose, who fund the project through vendors and ships whatever you requested straight to your school!


I recently created a proposal for my classroom requesting a bean bag chair and a physio-ball for my students in our library area.  My students with mild to severe autism are constantly stimulating themselves, often in the form of rocking or bouncing.  A bean bag chair would help to encourage independent reading and rest time, and the physio-ball will allow them to bounce and rock in an effective way.

We have a small (and I mean small) rocking chair in our room and the kids always fight over who gets to use it.  They love to sit in it and rock back and forth, back and forth.  So I'm hoping that the physio-ball will give them some other options.

Soooo my dear family, friends, and other blog readers, here's my proposal.  I hate asking for things (very stubborn), but when it comes to my students, I'll ask for anything.  Seriously, any amount of money is appreciated, even if it's just $5. 

PS: I survived my first week!  And got a compliment from an administrator!  And a student threw a toy out of the 4th floor window!  (Gotta take the good with the bad I guess....)

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Congrats on making it thru the first week - I had all the faith in the world in you!

And such a worthwhile project - Donors Choose is definitely awesome and will hopefully allow you to get some much needed things for your little ones!

Not sure who all in the family is good about reading your blog (you know our family - haha!) so you may want to send an email or some kind of communication to let them know (even though I know you are stubborn and hate asking for money) - but this is definitely a worthwhile contribution - I know it made me smile just being to help a little bit!!

Donna said...

WHAT A FIRST WEEK OF TEACHING YOU HAD!!!!! PARTY HARDY TONIGHT!!! I really commend you and am sooooooooooooo proud of you!!!! Wish I could be in your classroom to watch and listen. Hey, I'm IN with your Donors Choose program! Look out for some good stuff!!! I will also forward to some of my friends and family with the hope that they will follow!!! Love ya!