Donors Choose

DonorsChoose.org - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

13 June 2008

Waiting for reality to set in...

So far, it doesn’t really feel like I’m actually living here.  I haven’t had one of those “aha” moments where it’s like I realize that I’m actually living in New York for the foreseeable future.  For some reason it doesn’t really faze me.  Part of me wishes that it did!  I don’t know if it’s because I got used to the whole public transportation/big city thing in Munich or what.  Not that Munich is really a huge city, but I still think it prepared me in a way.  Prepared me to do things on my own, to know what to do when you get lost, to know how to navigate a subway system. 

I really do love New York though… there’s just so much to do and see and everyday you can see something new.  I already feel like I’m at “home” with my neighborhood and where I live.  Once I get my furniture (tomorrow!) it will finally feel even more like home.  I’m sick of having my clothes in piles on the floor (believe it or not) and my computer on my bed due to lack of a desk.  Despite Mom’s concerns (hi Mom!), I’m going to attempt to put all of the Ikea furniture together by myself.  I think I can do it, and the control freak in me just wants to do it myself.  Now if I ended up lofting my bed I probably would have had a professional do it, because falling to my death from a dorm-style bed is not something I’d like to experience.  But a regular bed is do-able I think.

Today I discovered that I actually have work (writing assignments) due for my first day of class on Tuesday.  So I’m back to being a college student (yay!).  Currently I am sitting at a coffee shop right across from Columbia with my computer and a huge 600 pg. book that I’m supposed to have read by Tuesday (won’t happen).  Tonight I will most likely lay low and try to get as much of this work done as possible.  Then tomorrow hopefully I’ll get my furniture in the morning, then off to NJ for a day of birthday/graduation celebrations with friends and then beach on Sunday hopefully! 

Have a great weekend everyone J

No comments: