Donors Choose

DonorsChoose.org - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

03 November 2008

Your Civic Duty

I remember four years ago... voting for the first time.  It was so, so, so exciting.  I was a freshman in college, 18 years old.  I registered my address at my dorm so I could vote in the lobby in my pajamas.  And that's exactly what I did.


I woke up at 5:50 am and went down the hall to rouse my equally excited first-time-voter friend.  We both went down in our pajamas and were within the first 1o people to vote at our location.  How exciting, right?  After we voted, which took a lot less time than I'd hoped, we went across the street to the other dorm, which served breakfast.

We waited for our other excited first-time-voter friends and then slowly trickled out to attend classes (yuck).  We were all so happy and giddy.... until the results started coming back.  My lovely die-hard Democrat of a roommate sat on our couch in her Kerry t-shirt for 2 days.

We were all shocked, started researching universities in Australia and Canada, and basically just bitched and moaned for about a week before realizing that we weren't going to leave school to move out of the country.  And somehow, we (barely) made it through those 4 years.

Voting was a little less exciting this time around... woo absentee ballot.  I can't wait for this election to be over and to stop thinking about "What if?" constantly.  Of course, I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but yeah, I just can't wait until tomorrow night is over.

I hope you all know your polling place and are making time to vote tomorrow.... it's a MUST.  Voting matters more than ever, and hopefully you think so too.

For me, I'll be going to lovely professional development all day and checking CNN on my phone to read anything I can.  Also, RIP Barack Obama's grandmother.... timing is a strange thing.

Happy voting!

No comments: